Friday, September 7, 2007

I have been thinking a lot lately about anniversaries of big, life altering events like a lot of people this time of year... seeing that Katrina's 2nd year mark just passed and 911's 6th year mark is right around the corner. I guess it might seem funny to reference Katrina and 911 without seeking out photographers who created work during those times for this update... I guess I, like many others, have seen those images enough. I moved to NYC from New Orleans less than a year before Katrina hit and I guess I just have a bit of hard time looking over those images again and again. I'm sure most feel a similar way towards Sept 11th photos though I'm not in any way trying to shrink the magnitude of such events. Perhaps, if anything, I'm trying to sympathize with those who were a little too close to these events for comfort.

Well all those thoughts got me to thinking about people who always shoot in places that have big, life altering events surrounding them. The following photographers work with some heavy material, though as you can see the images are quite stunning.

(Sleep deprivation might seem apparent in this post. My brain's not all here.)

No comments: